Skip to content

Certificate of No Impediment or no trace letter (civilstandsattest)

Most countries will require the presentation of a certificate of marital status/certificate of no impediment (civilstandsattest) to establish that the parties are not already married.

England & Wales
In accordance with English legislation, it is NOT possible for a the General Register Office to issue a 'certificate of no impediment' to alien citizens resident in the UK (this includes Danish citizens). However, The General Register Office can issue a 'no trace letter’ that would confirm that no marriage has taken place in England or Wales over a stated period of time.

Should you wish to pursue this option please e-mail the certificate services quoting the reference 'Search 123'. And they will advise you of the information they require and the fee for this service. However, a no trace letter will only cover to where the records are currently held which is approximately 12-18 months behind. It may take up to three weeks to issue a 'no trace letter'. They will need the applicant's full name, date and place of birth, and the full name of the applicant's father.

Contact The General Register Office (0300 123 1837) and ask for a Search 123. More contact information can be found here.

Anyone may make an application for a 'certificate of no impediment to Marriage'. Normally, they would apply to the Registrar of the relevant local authority area. However, the central reference is:

Register General for Scotland
New Register House
3 West Register Street
Tel: 0131 334 0380

(If you require information for Edinburgh/East of Scotland, Stuart McPherson (Danish Consul in Edinburgh) can provide local telephone numbers)

An applicant must allow at least 15 days between submission of a request and the issue of certificate.

  • The Certificate will be valid for only 3 months.
  • Documentation may be required (e.g. Birth Certificate, proof of termination of former marriage, etc.)


  • The 'certificate of no impediment' (civilstandsattest) must be obtained from the municipality where the citizen resided most recently (can be issued in English upon request) and subsequently legalised by the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (chargeable fee 2022: DKK 200).

  • For general information on legislation regarding marriage (Danish only), please click here