Skip to content

PhD Students

Danish residence cards must now contain biometrics (digital photograph & signature and fingerprints of 10 fingers) and all applications for a Danish residence permit must therefore be handed in in person at a VFS Office:

permit application process

VFS is the Embassy of Denmark's outsourcing partner for visas and residence permits. When you hand in your application, VFS will record your biometrics at the same time.

Children under 6 (age 6 minus 1 day) are not required to give fingerprints.

Please note the following

  • You will require a "Case Order ID" (obtainable online) and pay a fee (payable online) before submitting your application to the VFS Centre. The application fee is payable to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration in addition to the VFS service charge and fee charged by the Embassy. Please see the website of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration for further information: Fees
  • Processing fees will be regulated every year on 1 January

    If you plan to apply for a residence permit or an extension of a residence permit based on work or studies around 1 January, please note that processing fees are regulated on 1 January.

    If you wish to apply before the fees are regulated, you must both pay the fee and submit your application before 1 January. In other words, it is the date on which you submit your application to the Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment, to the Danish police, or at a Danish diplomatic mission, which decides the amount of the fee.

    If you pay the fee before 1 January, but submit your application after 1 January, you will have paid less than the required fee, and consequently, your application may be rejected, that is, it will not be processed.

Applications should normally be made in your home country or in the country where you are currently residing. 

Please visit the website of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration for general information and processing times for residence and work permits for researchers, PhD students and research assistants.

Further information about working in Denmark is available from:
Working in Denmark

Please follow the guidelines below for applications through the Embassy of Denmark in London.

The application form is  PHD1 Application for residence and work permits for PhD students.

Please read the guidelines on the front of the form "How to apply" carefully before making an application (the application process must be started by the research institute in Denmark before you make an application through the Embassy)
state your Case Order ID and provide refund information in the appropriate boxes on the form, and

enclose payment receipt with your application.

  • Please note that if you have not obtained a Case Order ID and made the payment online before you submit your application, the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration may reject your application.

Your application should be submitted by post to the Embassy, but the permit must be collected in person from the Visa Office.

The following is required for an application:

    1. 1 completed application form PHD1 (please
        see guidelines "How to apply" on the front of the
        application form).  Please provide your UK contact
address, mobile telephone number and e-mail

    2. Passport (copies of all passport pages are accepted).

    3. If you are not being paid being paid by the the host
        research institute you must provide proof that you can
        support yourself financially while in Denmark, e.g bank
        statements, pay or a letter from your employer in your
        home country (original documents only).

   4. Non-refundable fee of £176.00. 
        Accompanying family members £176.00 per
        application (children under 18 included in the
        application are free of charge)

        Family members of EU/EEA nationals are free of charge.
        (copy of EU/EEA national's passport and Marriage
        Certificate required).