Skip to content

Employees and Researchers

Danish residence cards must now contain biometrics (digital photograph & signature and fingerprints of 10 fingers) and all applications for a Danish residence permit must therefore be handed in in person at a VFS Office: 

Permit application process

VFS  is the Embassy of Denmark's outsourcing partner for visas and residence permits. When you hand in your application, VFS will record your biometrics at the same time.

Children under 6 (age 6 minus 1 day) are not required to give fingerprints.

Please note the following 

  • You will require a "Case Order ID" (obtainable online) and pay a fee (payable online) before submitting your application to the VFS Centre. The application fee is payable to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration in addition to the VFS service charge and fee charged by the Embassy. Please see the website of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration for further information: Fees
  • Processing fees are regulated every year on 1 January

    If you plan to apply for a residence permit or an extension of a residence permit based on work or studies around 1 January, please note that processing fees are regulated on 1 January.

    If you wish to apply before the fees are regulated, you must both pay the fee and submit your application before 1 January. In other words, it is the date on which you submit your application to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration, to the Danish police, or at a Danish diplomatic mission, which decides the amount of the fee.

    If you pay the fee before 1 January, but submit your application after 1 January, you will have paid less than the required fee, and consequently, your application may be rejected, that is, it will not be processed.

Applications should normally be made in your home country or in the country where you are currently residing.

Please visit the website of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration for general information and processing times for residence and work permits for Employees and Researchers.

Further information about working in Denmark is available from:
Working in Denmark

Please follow the guidelines below: 

The application form is AR1 Application for residence and work permit for employees (non-EU/EEA citizens). Accompanying family members should complete form FA8 Application for residence and work permit for family members of a foreign national who is to work or study in Denmark.


Please note the following

  • Please read the guidelines on the front of the form “How to apply” carefully before making an application (the application process must be started by your employer in Denmark before you apply),
    state your Case Order ID and provide refund information in the appropriate boxes on the form,
    enclose payment receipt with your application.
  • Please note that if you have not obtained a Case Order ID and made the payment online before you submit your application, the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration  may reject your application.

The following is required for an application:

1. 1 completed application form AR1 (please see the guidelines on the front of the application)
     Please provide your UK contact details:
address, mobile telephone number and e-mail address   

2. Passport (copies of all passport pages are accepted).

3. Employment contract and job description (not more than30 days old – where possible  
    standard contracts  from the relevant industry should be used).

4. Documentation for your educational background (copy in authorized Danish or English 
5. Documentation for authorization (only if the job requires Danish authorization).   

6. Additional documents supplied by the employer (see “Which documents are required” on  
    the front of the application form).

7. Non-refundable fee of £176.00 per applicant. Accompanying family members £176.00 per 
    Family members of EU/EEA nationals are free of charge (EU/EEA national's passport and 
    Marriage Certificate required).