Skip to content

General Introduction to Travel and Residence Services

Welcome to the homepage of the Consular Section at the Embassy of Denmark in London

On these pages you may find information about the kind of assistance the Embassy can offer you, if you are in need whilst travelling abroad.

As a general rule, the Danish Foreign Service, which includes Danish representations abroad, will assist all Danish nationals and – in as far as possible – foreigners with a permanent address in Denmark. However, persons not holding Danish Nationality, or persons holding dual nationality, cannot be certain that the authorities of the country in question will accept that Denmark offer assistance, if the case in question is a conflict with the authorities of that country – e.g. cases of imprisonment.

Consular services includes issuing Danish passports, Danish driving licences, visas for Denmark, legalisations, and assistance in connection with illness and death, money transfers, imprisonment, child abduction cases etc.

As a general rule a fee is applicable to most services, with the exceptions of child abduction cases, cases of imprisonment and in the instance of a serious crime committed against a Danish national.

The Danish Foreign Service is not empowered to grant funds in cases where Danish nationals and foreign nationals with a permanent address in Denmark are in need while travelling abroad. This applies whether it concerns requests to borrow money for a ticket back to Denmark, payment of hospital bills, medical evacuation to Denmark, legal costs etc.

For advice to Danish nationals on travelling abroad, please visit the Consular home page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Råd om udlandsrejser og Rejsevejledninger, Danish only).

Disclaimer: Please note that advice and recommendations on this homepage are given with the usual proviso for errors and omissions and that the Embassy is not responsible for any damages or loss as a result of the information given on this home page.

Information from other authorities and advice and guidance is provided on the homepages of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. However, the Ministry of Foreign of Affairs cannot be held responsible for possible problems regardless of the information on the homepages.