Skip to content

Family Members of UK, EU or EEA Nationals

Family Members of EU nationals exercising Treaty Rights in another EU country and EEA Nationals:

Family members are:

The direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 or are dependants, and those of the spouse or partner.

The dependant direct relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents) and those of the spouse or partner.


Please check the title on your UK residence card/sticker to establish whether you hold a "Residence Permit" or "Residence Documentation/Card". THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AND DIFFERENT REQUIREMENTS APPLY.

If you hold a Residence Documentation sticker or a plastic Residence Card  as a family member of an EU national  according to Article 5, cf. Article 10 of EU Directive 38/2004, you do not need a visa for travel to Denmark/Iceland, if  you are accompanied by the EU national who depend on. 

Please note that UK nationals living and working in the UK do not exercise Treaty Rights.


The permanent stay Residence Documentation sticker or plastic Residence Card is also
valid for visa free travel to Denmark/Iceland:



Image result for what does a uk residence card look like


If you are travelling to another EU country other than Denmark or Iceland you should check with that country's embassy in the UK whether they also accept you as being visa exempt.

It is advisable to print this page and to present it together with your letter from UK Border Agency regarding your Residence Documentation/Card and proof of your relationship with the EU national to the airline at the point of departure or Danish/Icelandic Border Control on entry into Denmark/Iceland in case of problems. 

Please bring both originals and photocopies of the required documentation as well as completed application form and applicant's passport.

  1. Holders of Residence  Documentation sticker or plastic Residence Card travelling with or joining the EU national you are dependant on: no visa required
  2. Holders of Residence Documentation sticker or plastic Residence Card travelling without the EU national you are dependant on:
    visa required (free of charge)
    Documentation required: Proof of family relationship with EU national (Original Marriage or Birth Certificate - cohabitating partners: proof of same address for at least 18 - 24 months) and original passport of EU national (photocopies not accepted), family members other than spouses/partners and children: proof of dependency on EU national or his/her spouse/partner.

 3.  Holders of Residence Documentation sticker or plastic Residence Card travelling with 
       or joining
the Danish national you are dependant on:          
      as 1. above.
      Please note that if you are joining a Danish national in Denmark, your application cannot
      be processed under EU law, as the
      Danish national is not an EU national in his/her own country.

 4.  Holders of Residence Documentation sticker or 
      plastic Residence Card travelling without the Danish national you are dependant on:
      as 2. above.

Family Members of UK Nationals:

 5.  Holders of Residence Permit either on the basis of being married to/partner/child/parent
      of a UK national  travelling with or joining the UK national you are
      dependant on: visa required (free of charge)

      Documentation required:

      Proof of family relationship with UK national: Original Marriage or Birth Certificate (if in
      language other than English, French, German or Spanish
      a certified translation into English is required)
      Cohabitating partners: proof of same address for a least 18-24 months
      Passport of UK national (photocopies not accepted)
      Family members other than spouse and children: proof of dependency on UK national
      or his/her spouse/partner
      Travel tickets (return tickets as proof that you are travelling with UK national)

Please note that in order to process an application under EU rules, it is necessary for the applicant to produce evidence (in the form of return tickets) that he/she is travelling with the UK national. This is because for visa purposes UK nationals are not considered EU nationals in their own country, until they leave and travel to another EU country. It is therefore only possible for the Embassy to issue a single entry visa. If you have previous Schengen travel history and  would like to apply for multiple entries, you cannot apply as a family member of an EU national, but must apply as under 6. below and pay the visa fee.

6.  Holders of a Residence Permit on the basis of being married to/partner/child/parent of a  
     UK national travelling without the UK national you are dependent on:
      visa required

Documentation required:

    as listed under requirements for a Schengen visa 

Please note that for visa purposes both the passport and UK Residence Documentation/Residence Card must be valid for the duration of your visit to Denmark. A UK Residence Permit and passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visit to Denmark.

Applications from family members of EU nationals are prioritized and processed faster. Please note that some nationals are subject to prior consultation in one or more Schengen countries, before a visa can be issued. The consultation takes around 8-10 days. Please see  the list of countries.

Please see further information about where to apply: where to apply for a Schengen visa